Kinlochleven Hydro-Electric Pipes, Scotland
Published 25th February 2018 (Originally Filmed June 2015)
Originally filmed in June 2015 this aerial video is of the hydro-electric system which is still in use and was once associated with a former aluminium smelter.
The Kinlochleven Hydro-Electric Scheme was built by the British Aluminium Company in 1909. It is fed from the Blackwater Reservoir which is in turn fed from the 12,800 acres Rannoch Moor. Due to the first world war aluminium was in high demand which caused a decision to expand the scheme using over 1000 German prisoners of war to construct 5 miles of pipeline to increase the volume of water.
The local aluminium smelter closed in 2000 however the turbines still generate power at Kinlochleven although most of this is used to power the aluminium smelter in nearby Fort William.
Location of Aerial Video